Dating in kaliningrad
In World War II Wismar was heavily damaged by Allied air raids.
At the end of the war in Europe, as the line of contact between Soviet and other Allied armies formed, Wismar was captured by the British 6th Airborne Division's 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion on May 2, 1945.
In 1903 Sweden finally renounced its claims on the town.
Wismar still retains a few relics of its old privileges, including the right to fly its own flag.
The harbour was deep enough to admit vessels of 5 meters (16.4 feet) draught, permitting sizeable steamers to unload at its quays.
In view of this contingent right of Sweden, Wismar was not represented at the diet of Mecklenburg until 1897.
The northern side of the square is occupied by the Town Hall, built in neoclassical style in 1817–1819.
Another notable building in the square is a Brick Gothic Bürgerhaus (patrician's home) called the Alter Schwede (The Old Swede), erected around 1380. George's Church, the third so-named edifice on the site, dates from 1404.
Wismar received its civic rights in 1229, and came into the possession of Mecklenburg in 1301.
In 1259 it had entered a pact with Lübeck and Rostock, in order to defend itself against the numerous Baltic sea pirates. During the 13th and 14th centuries it was a flourishing Hanseatic town, with important woollen factories.
Search for dating in kaliningrad:
At various times, Wismar has been part of Mecklenburg, Sweden or Germany, including East Germany.